White dot for spacing only
The Dice Project


Operational Meeting

Minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 23rd August 2006
Room 2511, JCMB

Present:
Lindsey Brown, Neil Brown, Tim Colles, Ken Dawson (convener and minutes), Carol Dow, Alison Downie, Archie Howitt, Julieta Pineda, Stephen Quinney, George Ross, Alastair Scobie, Rosemary Soutar, Craig Strachan, Simon Wilkinson
  1. Apologies for absence

    Morna had sent her apologies.

  2. minutes of the last meeting.

    These were accepted.

  3. Reports from units.

  4. Appleton Tower refurbishment ramifications

    George wished to draw people's attention to the work that was planned for Appleton Tower. The plans for levels 6, 7 and 8 were out for consultation. Professor Igor Goryanin and his research team will be decanted to the Darwin building prior to the work starting. Once the work on levels 6, 7 and 8 was complete then those on levels 2, 3 and 4 would be decanted to the new accommodation on levels 6, 7 and 8.

    Alison mentioned the mock-up of a flip desk that is being considered for the refurbished levels 3 and 4 which is on display on level 5 in the north lab. People were encouraged to examine it and leave their comments.

  5. Informatics Forum

    Alastair has been requesting details of room occupancy and timing of moves so that we can start to plan the associated work that we must do.

    The timing of the move into the Forum could potentially affect when it would be possible for staff to take annual leave next summer.

    Although there will be no great pressure to quickly vacate Buccleuch Place and Forrest Hill the same can not be said about JCMB. We won't have to vacate the JCMB server room very quickly as there is no possibility financially of developing the area in the immediate future. Alastair will try to persuade College to keep the server area as a College machine room.

    Alastair asked the User Support Unit to check that they didn't need to order any more desktop machines before next summer.

  6. AOCB

    1. Reserved UIDS

      Alastair raised the issue of an existing user having a uid in the reserved range. It appears that although this was noticed at the time all uids were rationalised, the work to convert that one was overlooked. The User Support Unit will arrange for the change to be finally made.

    2. Registration of local account usernames

      The User Support Unit were asked to resurrect the documentation on creating local accounts and recording the details (in for example dice/options/localaccount.h and registering the accounts as functional accounts on the new IDMS) and place this information on the wiki.

    3. Handling of an individual research database

      Julieta mentioned a research database that for historical reasons had been administered by herself. It should probably be passed to the Research and Teaching Unit; she will speak to Tim about this.


 : Operational : Meetings 

Mini Informatics Logo - Link to Main Informatics Page
Please contact us with any comments or corrections.
Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all material is copyright The University of Edinburgh
Spacing Line