Apologies for absence
minutes of the last meeting.
These were accepted.
The completion date for the Forum is now the end of March, with us expecting to be ready to move in on June 4th. Alastair noted that we would lose the BP conference suite and some basement rooms (though NOT the server room) in May, and that it would then be remodelled for its next occupants.
Those people who will be working in the building before completion will need to go through the safety induction. Tony Sweeny (BBCL) has indicated that he could run special sessions for batches of COs, CSOs and technicians -- Alastair will organise. (Alternatively, go along to the site offices any morning for 08:00.)
Ken has been drafting an interim laptop policy, which CEG are discussing. An "iMeeting" has been scheduled to discuss mobility issues, and this is likely to result in a more established policy.
Teaching Committee has accepted proposals for a student project archive. It looks as though this will involve a web form for students to submit project directories for assessment, and with a tick box to agree to archiving.
Alastair will discuss with Stuart.
The meeting was strongly of the opinion that there should be no shared accounts, as this would make auditing essentially impossible. Personal temporary accounts could be issued; the account management procedures might need to be updated to note the requirement to ensure that these are deleted along with main accounts.
The new account management system (prometheus) should make this kind of thing easier to do in future.
Please let support know if you're planning an upgrade which might conceivably be user-visible, as it makes their life a lot easier when people come along asking why things have changed.
Ken and Alison have been trying out IS's development "cms" system, with a view to it replacing our RT system. It's different -- there are things it does better and things it does not so well, though there don't seem to be any showstoppers. Customisation will probably have to go through IS though. The next step is to get some more queues set up, and for all CSOs (initially) to try it out.
Reports from units.
The meeting suggest the School Office might be a good place for the second set of keys. George will investigate.
Alastair will write raid-controller firmware upgrade instructions.
Stephen asked that machines should be rebooted to pick up the latest set of upgrades.
It seemed there might be a case for adding some more research licences. rat-unit will consider this some more.
There was a wide-ranging discussion of the recent IS-organised Linux Supported Desktop RPM Repositories Proposal and whether and how our own software packaging standards should be defined. The following points emerged:
Simon noted that a recent patch to OpenSSH had probably broken logins for FC8 and ubuntu users, and maybe Mac users as well. The release management mechanism would make it tricky to back out, so he would look into providing a patch for the login servers. Alternatively there's a client configuration workaround...
The next meeting will be on February 27th in JCMB 2511 and chaired by George Ross.
Please contact us with any comments or corrections.
Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all material is copyright The University of Edinburgh