Apologies for absence
Alastair, Roger, Toby.
minutes of the last meeting.
These were accepted.
There are still problems finding anyone willing to take responsibility for this work. The restarting of work at the end of May is a problem since we are likely to be extremely busy with forum work then and also dealing with Morna's school event.
The question of how to deal with all the old equipment stored in various rooms across the sites arose. Alison stated that the intention was to gather all desktop machines marked for disposal in one location, namely Forresthill. Someone needs to go through the various storage rooms at KB to identify what should be kept and what should be disposed off. Craig and Alison have already gone through the Forresthill store rooms and Craig will go through the BP ones in the near future. In general, items likely to be of use during and after the move such as power cords and VGA cables should be retained but older equipment unlikely to be needed again such as thick ethernet hardware should be disposed of.
Ken suggested that any unwanted books should be considered for inclusion in a general CO library.
Reports from units.
Stephen stated that in response to complaints from COs about the install system selecting the default menu choice too quickly, the timeout before using the default had been extended.
The meeting was reminded that when installing older kit, it may be necessary to use a PS2 keyboard for input since a USB keyboard may not be recognised.
Tim stated that many of the DIY DICE machine belonging to the RAT unit may be moved back to standard DICE since in practice the RAT unit is doing most of the work managing them anyway.
Neil asked about the provision of a test machine for checking SL5 desktop packages. Alison agreed to set up such a machine.
Ken raised the subject of how we could improve communication within the CO body. It was generally agreed that there are two kinds of communications, namely:
It was suggested that the cos mailing list is the obvious medium for announcements of the first type but some were worried that the information might be lost in the noise of the list. Bill suggested setting up a web page containing details of forthcoming planned interruptions to services. Neil addressed concerns about keeping such a page up to date by suggesting that by using the Plone events plugin, such a page could be made to automatically update itself after an event has passed. This would also be of benefit in investigating a feature of Plone which other users are sure to request. Neil agreed to set up such a page. It was observed that the usefulness of such a page would be enhanced if the underlying mechanism could be configured to mail out a reminder to the cos list on the day an interruption is scheduled.
For announcements of the second sort, it was agreed that the CO chatroom was the best medium to use. All computing staff were encouraged to make use of the chatroom.
Craig reminded the meeting that each unit should check which of their machines in the AT machine room were not attached to a UPS and should make arrangements to connect theses machines to a UPS or shutdown automatically before the test begins.
The next meeting will be on April 23th in JCMB-2511.
Please contact us with any comments or corrections.
Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all material is copyright The University of Edinburgh