White dot for spacing only
The Dice Project


Operational Meeting

Minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 9th June 2010
Room 4.31, Informatics Forum

Present:
Lindsey Brown, Neil Brown, Roger Burroughes, Tim Colles, Chris Cooke, Carol Dow, Alison Downie (convenor and minutes), Ian Durkacz, Gordon Reid, George Ross, Alastair Scobie, Paul Smith, Craig Strachan
  1. Apologies for absence

    Iain, Toby

  2. Minutes of the last meeting.

    Craig to make minor correction.

  3. Actions.

    Actions completed:

    Actions added:

    Actions deferred:

  4. Report from Computing Executive Group

    1. Inventory

      A number of machines still report that they are in FH. Action on George and Alison to investigate as this may be due to machines in AT server room not updating their location.

  5. Reports from units.

  6. Topics for discussion

    1. root password issues

      It was agreed that the root passwords should be robust and changed frequently.

      It was also suggested that there should be different root passwords for different classes of machines e.g. labs/servers/offices. On the other hand, too many categories would make it more difficult to remember them. Neil suggested that the password for servers/desktops should change with the move to F13 and servers not moving to F13 should be changed as soon as practical.

      It was left that an action be given to the Infrastructure Unit to come up with a proposed scheme for consideration.

    2. sysinfo.criticality

      It was agreed that a macro could be used to set the sysinfo.criticality resource and add to spanning maps. The suggestion was made that this could then be published on the inventory (or alternative suitable) web page.

      In the cases where servers run multiple services with different criticalities, the highest would win. An action was given to the MPU to consider whether the current definition needs to be redefined.

  7. AOCB

    1. Fibre Channels As a result of discussion about the current setup, it was agreed that a review should be made of what is connected currently and possible load balancing issues (across arrays) investigated.

  8. Next meeting

    The next meeting will be on Wednesday 23rd June in room 4.31 chaired by George Ross.


 : Operational : Meetings 

Mini Informatics Logo - Link to Main Informatics Page
Please contact us with any comments or corrections.
Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all material is copyright The University of Edinburgh
Spacing Line