Graham, Craig, Neil, Toby
Minor correction - George had given his apologies so wasn't present as well!
Report from Computing Executive Group
Alastair explained the time schedules for the project planning process for T3 (Sept-Dec).
Alastair commented on the difficulties that he had in producing realistic estimates from our inventory for the Energy Audit. His report can be found at Green IT wiki
Reports from units.
Alastair clarified that we can expect a month's notice.
Alastair suggested that Ian should perhaps contact IS (Tony Weir) regarding the proposed plan.
As a slight aside, Chris commented about the recabling of metropolitan. He had ensured that the fibre channels went in to different switches but they should ideally go to switches in different racks.
Should you need to keep a machine at SL5.4, you will need to define the DICE_STICK_WITH_SL54 macro at the top of the machine profile.
COs are encouraged to upgrade to F13. We now have a script (along the lines of exam-lockdown) to assist with lab upgrades and it has been tested successfully. The upgrade of labs to f13 will continue over the summer break. An alias will be setup so that staff can try it out before their desktop is upgraded. We should be encouraging 'early takers' as soon as possible. User Support should co-ordinate some notes on the upgrade for end-users.
Most packages should be there and some may be the same as with SL5.
Topics for discussion
Concern was expressed that by adding this as a package, users would then infer that we would support it. After some discussion, it was suggested that we should find out why users specifically want to use dropbox and also that we should consider writing a wrapper round the script that it runs so that users are warned when they first run dropbox that it is not something that we support along with general warning about security of data.
Skype was also mentioned as a package that is becoming increasingly popular. It was suggested that we check with ITPF to get their viewpoint on the licence/ditribution issues.
It was felt that this should be left until Neil returns as it is understood that he has been investigating.
Alastair confirmed that dedicated storage has been ordered with delivery expected mid-August. Until then, people should hold back on virtualising further services.
It was agreed that another CO coffee meeting should be scheduled for August. Subsequent to the meeting, this has been arranged for Thursday 26th August at 11am in MF1.
The next meeting should be on Wednesday 11th August in room 4.31.
Please contact us with any comments or corrections.
Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all material is copyright The University of Edinburgh