These were accepted.
In the absence of a forthcoming Teaching Committee meeting, Tim will talk to Ian Stark about Matlab usage.
Blog articles suggested:
Report from Computing Executive Group
It was pointed out that the current hardware on CO's desks may not be up to the task of running several VMs at once. There are issues with the amount of RAM, disk space and disk contention when several VMs try to access the system disk at the same time. RAM and disk space is cheap but it is not possible to install a second disk into the form factors currently in use on the desktop. It was agreed that thought should be given to perhaps procuring some desktop machines better suited to running multiple VMs.
Chris pointed out that VMs running on desktops considerably complicates putting these machines to sleep.
Reports from units.
It was agreed that for every day LaTeX questions, the best way for users to get answers in a reasonable time would be to post them to a mailing list, either inf-general or a new list created for the purpose. RAT will assume responsibility for changes which involve updating the LaTeX packages. It was pointed out that the main issue with LaTeX is support for the ITO when exam pages were being written.
It was agreed that Alison would write a blog article detailing how support for LaTeX should work.
Topics for discussion
It was agreed that the answer to this was yes though we would like to see the ability to rename machines reappear at some point.
It was agreed that this was a good idea but what would be very helpful would be a wiki page or similar detailing what updates were available and whether they had been tested. It was agreed that MPU would flesh out a framework for handling firmware updates
It was agreed that it should. MPU will make apacheconf-2 the default for SL6.
Toby reminded the meeting that the introduction of the new IDMS begins on Friday the 10th of June and will affect many IT systems. Full details can be found here.
Stephen announced that the UKUUG 2012 spring conference will be held in the Forum between the 20th and 22nd of March. Informatics computing staff get to go for free!
The next meeting will be on Wednesday 22nd June in room 4.31 chaired by Craig.
Please contact us with any comments or corrections.
Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all material is copyright The University of Edinburgh