These were accepted.
Proposals circulated. Will be discussed at the next meeting
Done but didn't get discussed due to time constraints
Who changed to Neil/US Unit
Neil not yet passed on details to US Unit yet.
The list is in the top drawer of IF-2.09
Blog articles discussed:
Blog articles suggested:
Blog articles completed:
Report from Computing Executive Group
Alastair gave a verbal report from the most recent meeting of CCPAG. The highlights were:
The College intend to use the School's existing pages on this subject as a basis for the college-wide documentation
EE already have a public key infrastructure which we might be able to use as a basis for one of our own. MPU will talk to Colin Higgs about this.
In general the College seems to believe that the best approach to mobile data is to provide facilities for users to access data remotely and this seems to be the approach that most Schools are taking.
We don't have a policy on exam data management. We should probably produce one. Alastair will talk to Liz.
Some Schools are reporting issues between Pcounter and the new SelectPrint MFDs. As we don't currently use Pcounter on MFD queues, this shouldn't be an issue for us.
IS are currently planning on providing each member of staff with 500GB of general purpose disk space via NFS and based on a GPFS file system. Shane from Geosciences has been experimenting with rsyncing data to this file space and has found performance to be poor, the issue appearing to be the overhead associated with the file metadata. This is more of an issue with a large number of small files; larger files would do better.
This is apparently not happening until early January. Research students are being moved to staffmail in late summer. It was agreed that we need early access to Office 365 to check some issues. RAT will look into this.
The putative replacement of Polopoly with Drupal is still a paper exercise. There is a lot of demand for a general University theme suitable for use with Drupal and this is actually being produced.
Ian asked how the arrangements for moving kit to KB should work now that the School van is no more. Alastair will discuss with Dave Hamilton.
Reports from units.
The initial thoughts were that we should just use the same grace period as IS. These are quite generous however and would lead to overlaps with the next year' students. RAT will discuss with the new director of teaching and Toby.
Stephen stated that in principle, using a different branch of a component merely requires using a different major version number. He will talk to Graham and Iain and come to some conclusion about how we could handle this sort of thing in future.
None other than that of RT best practises which is deferred pending the arrival of RT4.
The next meeting will be on Wednesday 11th July 2012 in 4.31 chaired by Alison Downie.
Please contact us with any comments or corrections.
Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all material is copyright The University of Edinburgh