These were accepted.
Some of the machines in question are in large tower boxes. Some thought will be needed as to where to put these in the main server room.
Craig will be meeting with Angus soon.
Toby has done so. He'll now circulate the latest version for comment.
Have asked. Will prod.
Alison has updated the wiki page to include all the amendments to the original proposal as a separate section, with the original text and comments left in place for now as a record. A merged document will be produced in due course. The table at the end of the page has, however, been updated to correspond with the amended policy.
Reschedule for December.
Blog articles suggested:
Blog articles completed:
Report from Computing Executive Group
Reports from units
The meeting agreed that we should take up Alan's offer. We were rather puzzled, though, as to why it should be necessary so soon. There doesn't seem to be a similar issue in the Forum, which has been occupied longer.
It wasn't clear under what circumstances the problem described arises. ALL to let Ian know of occurrences. Ian to correlate.
Once again, this provoked a more general discussion regarding IS's handling of UniDesk tickets, and the promulgation of service information in general. ALL to send (more) details to Alastair, who will correlate and raise with IS.
Post-meeting followup from Alison: "I should perhaps have mentioned at the Ops meeting that it is possible to raise the priority of a ticket. You can't just change the 'priority' field as it is derived from the values in the 'impact' and 'urgency' fields. So, for example, by changing the 'urgency' of a ticket from 'Normal' to 'Higher' (or even 'Highest'), you can change the 'priority'.You can also change the target date without needing to change 'priority'. Whether we should be doing this for tickets that we submit ourselves is a completely different matter of course!"
The issues were discussed at some length! Neil will go away and digest things, and in particular think about how better to handle mail-forwarding failures. Alison will look at how better to spot off-the-air machines sooner.
Could all these lists just accept posts from any @ed addresses? This would solve a lot of the problems, but would potentially open the lists to more spam. Neil and/or Tim will raise this with the ITO.
Topics for discussion
These are only supposed to be used for non-commercial purposes, and the question was raised as to how much we should try to police this, particularly for the wiki and for homepages. The conclusion reached was that the best way would be by ensuring that documentation was clear, and then by dealing with any transgressions on a case-by-case basis.
No new suggestions
The next meeting will be on Wednesday 10th October at 10:00 in IF-4.31.
Please contact us with any comments or corrections.
Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all material is copyright The University of Edinburgh