This meeting was moved from 4.31 as a result of another booking that we were not informed about. It was then delayed further by an over-running meeting in 2.33.
These were accepted.
The documentation is here.
Neil noted that by default the mirrored-host's name will come through a spanning map. There's a resource (rmirrorclient.aliases) which can be used to change this if necessary.
The header is site-specific, though the macros defined therein aren't. The best way to handle this is probably to to include the appropriate header directly in the machine's profile and then call any macros as necessary from other functional headers.
There's only one on homepages, but it's an ancient version. Neil will continue to chase.
This has been ongoing behind the scenes, but there's not a lot that can be reported at the moment. Defer.
For licence reasons we can only have 5 usernames accredited to the system. Ian proposes one per Unit. Ian and Alison will be discussing procedures in more depth tomorrow.
There was an uplift yesterday, so it's now easier to see what's what in the room.
There was some discussion of the access problems caused by the security bollards, and the non-attendance of Security to open them. (This has also caused problems in the past with deliveries.) It wasn't clear why there couldn't be a key kept locally (by the servitors, for example). This was all felt to be unsatisfactory, and it was suggested that Alastair should take the problem to the Building Committee for further discussion.
Alison has circulated a summary of Angus's reply. She'll now set up a wiki page with his suggestions, plus other useful addresses that anyone else can contribute.
Deferred for two months
The pages have been reconciled.
Stephen has published his scripts and emailed to COs
Blog articles suggested:
Blog articles completed:
Report from Computing Executive Group
Reports from units
The instructions, with the username and password, are now on the side of their rack. The instructions (minus the password) are also available on-line here.
These will work for all users on DICE machines. For staff and PGR (not UG or PGT) there's also the option of installing on a personal machine. This needs an actvation key. Tim has been emailing this out on demand, but hopes to set up an authenticated web page soon.
There's still a question as to how any grant recharge will work.
Our documentation pages need to be checked over, with links to IS's pages added as necessary.
Topics for discussion
This was held over to next time
The general consensus was to try somewhere different. Stephen will continue the discussion on the chatroom and by email.
There had been memory problems with use of weka. Stephen and Graham will look into pulling the package from the NX host, replacing it with a crichton message.
Other options for remote working are available. Are they well enough documented? Well enough publicised? How would waking of sleeping machines work? For further discussion next time.
It was agreed that it would make sense to put the next meeting back to "week 5" to allow for LinuxCon. Accordingly the next meeting will be on Wednesday 30th October in IF-4.31 at 10:00 (unless we're bounced again!).
Please contact us with any comments or corrections.
Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all material is copyright The University of Edinburgh