White dot for spacing only
The Dice Project


Operational Meeting

Minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 29th January 2015 in IF-1.15

Present:
Ross Armstrong, Richard Bell, Lindsey Brown, Neil Brown, Roger Burroughes, Chris Cooke, Carol Dow, Alison Downie, Ian Durkacz, Graham Dutton, Jennifer Oxley, Stephen Quinney, Iain Rae, Gordon Reid, George Ross (convener and minutes), Alastair Scobie
  1. Minutes of the last meeting

    These were accepted.

  2. Actions

    Actions discussed:

    Actions added:

    Actions completed:

    Blog articles suggested:

  3. Report from Computing Executive Group

  4. Reports from units

  5. Topics for discussion

    1. "Gas explosion in Appleton tower" exercise
      • Unit wiki pages are linked here
      • inf-unit: just secondary servers affected, with no data lost; procedures for bringing up new servers are well-tested; access via the EdLAN-OC link tested recently; no particular lessons learned this time.
      • mp-unit:
        • no particular lessons learned
        • lots of space available for VMs
        • the small-server header may need some work
        • the Unit gets a regular email saying which VM is hosted where, which they would need to promulgate in the event of a disaster as it isn't currently forwarded on anywhere else
        • how does kvmtool handle "down" servers?
      • services-unit: some plone issues due to an ancient python version; otherwise no particular issues; a note that they might be too busy in a real event to generate a "not-affected" list
      • rat-unit: lessons learned included setting up backups straight away, and keeping documentation fresh; wiki page has been updated
      • us-unit: nothing more to add to the wiki page
      • us-unit note that the means of communicating between ourselves would need to be established as soon as possible. This is vital to allow support to do their job i.e. keep users informed.
      • In a real event there would really be three states for machines: "yes", "no" and "don't know". Units in general would prefer to be asked about machines' states, rather than having to take time out to test things proactively.
      • Alastair will now write the blog article.
    2. Innovative learning week
      • What should we do?
      • Tours of server room, IT closets etc. suggested. If we do do these the would have to be organised and structured! Ian would be happy to lead these.
      • We should aim for low-cost things this year to get an idea of takeup. If it looks good this year we could be more ambitious next time.
      • Michael Rovatsos is believed to be coordinating
      • Alison to speak to him about what we might offer, both in the way of topics and to offer technical support.
      • As this is now an established event we should add a deferred action for the beginning of January each year to start consideration.
  6. Items for the Computing Systems blog

    Alastair to write the "gas explosion" article.

  7. AOCB

    None

  8. Next meeting

    The next meeting will be on 12th February 2014 at 10:00 in IF-4.31, chaired by Alison.


 : Operational : Meetings 

Mini Informatics Logo - Link to Main Informatics Page
Please contact us with any comments or corrections.
Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all material is copyright The University of Edinburgh
Spacing Line