These were accepted. A question from Neil was taken under "topics for discussion".
This is on Neil's list to look at (action changed accordingly). Alastair raised a concern regarding lists which might have confidential content, as it would not be appropriate to have unrestricted access by non-members for these.
Post-meeting question: do we have a secure audit trail for list configuration changes?
According to Scott, IS's throttling was removed in January. The immediate issue on this occasion was that the power outage took out our mail relay, so all @inf mail would have been delayed. It may not be straightforward to replicate the relay across our sites, as is done for other services.
There was, however, some doubt as to whether this was the whole story. What happens to mail which has been queued while the relay is down?
twitter was suggested as an alternative for status reporting. US will look into this.
A reminder to ALL to keep going with those "pandemic" actions!
There was some discussion as to what the "security" entry really meant. Without refinement and clarification it's too vague to be useful. Does it just refer to MPU things? Or wider? In a pandemic situation, how much do we really need to be able to fix? Stephen will discuss further with "interested" parties.
Alastair reported that he had discussed the self-managed server room with HoS. The shelves are to be removed, and replaced with racks. (We may be able to relocate them into the main server room, with chaperoned access, once Aridhia go and depending on what happens to the "Physics DR rack". Whether it would work satisfactorily in practice is open to question at least.) A "space leasing" scheme is likely to be instituted for the rack-based machines, with a new case having to be made once a lease "expires".
Bring back as a "normal" action
On RAT-unit list
Blog articles discussed:
Blog articles completed:
Report from Computing Executive Group
There are still some open questions, not least how (whether?) updates are going to be distributed.
There's a proposal to buy a mathematica site licence. This may not affect us much, as we have only three local non-core-funded licences.
There's ongoing discussion of Sean's "security" paper.
(Aside: there are no totally-open ports at FARR. We seem to be the only part of the University with such things. We currently handle audit requirements on the basis of room "ownership", but we may be required to do 802.1X at some point. Technically we could, with some effort, and there would actually be some associated benefits for us.)
IT consulting has been restructured again.
ITI-network have apppointed two new members of staff.
Graeme is writing a paper on 2-factor authentication.
The staffmail backend has been upgraded.
There have been upgrades to the virtual hosting service.
There's expected to be a "lightweight survey" on archiving by the end of May. We need to make sure that the right Informatics people answer it.
A secure dropbox-alike is coming "soon".
Research data: would homedirs no longer be on college servers?; and there's ongoing discussion as to whether quotas should be strictly individual or pooled.
We should expect to be emailed "soon" and thereafter annually regarding functional accounts.
Reports from units
There was some discussion of the question regarding speed vs. throughput, which the Unit members will take away to digest. Any other comments would be welcome, but would have to be VERY SOON as the procurement process must be pushed through with reasonable speed.
Alison will be sending a general email message out (done), and may write a blog article.
Topics for discussion
"The problem with your backup system appears to have been that the changeover chilled water flow temperature setpoint was set at 20°C which is, to my mind a bit too high, as it'll take a long time for the residual water to reach this. We've reduced this back down to 16°C (which I'm sure was the original setting?) and David Barratt's team have put in a line to have the changeover tested again. The problem with lowering this setpoint too low is that there is the chance that the cooling systems could change over when there isn't really a problem with the central cooling e.g. when we're on free cooling the flow temperature can go as high as 14°C. However, I think it's better the backup cooling coming in too early rather than not coming in at all and it may indeed give us all greater comfort to see it operating 'naturally' from time to time. If the backup system is asked to start and fails to reduce the flow temperature within 15 minutes then an alarm transmits to security and an engineer is called so we're well covered in that event."
Neil asked for clarification as to when folk covering for stricken Units should be set up to receive emails and notifications, having not been at the last meeting. It was reaffirmed that this should be done at the time it is realised that cover is required, as it would be far too noisy otherwise.
The next meeting will be on 14th May 2014 at 10:00 in IF-4.31, chaired by Alison.
Please contact us with any comments or corrections.
Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all material is copyright The University of Edinburgh