Units to review use. Ian has listed a few likely candidates.
The question regarding what should be done with existing machines was raised. Once we establish procedures for new kit, we should target machines which are likely to have high/medium risk data.
The meeting has taken place but documentation week has been postponed. Will leave the action in place until it has been arranged.
Alison has spoken to Pim. The completion of the move to Wordpress is imminent.
Actions added or revived:
Blog articles completed:
Report from Computing Executive Group
This has been postponed to allow more time to explore options. However, the suggestion is now to have an Innovation week/days instead so Units should start thinking about areas of interest.
Alastair gave a verbal report from the latest CCPAG meeting. Topics included:
Alastair will circulate the paper discussing LCFG vs other tools. We may become involved.
Dave Robertson is our representative on the EdWeb project.
George should be involved in the project to replace edlanDB.
There will be a major review next year.
Engineering are moving to remote desktop for exam prep.
Is now available in all NHS hospitals in the Lothians and Borders.
Reports from Units
The concensus was 'not keen' but take a look at wobleg.inf.ed.ac.uk and send comments to Neil. It may well add a lot of features but may equally add a lot of bugs. Could the stats perhaps be downloaded separately ?
Note that there is an exam scheduled for Monday 21st December. There are over 100 students taking the exam so we will need appropriate cover.
Topics for discussion
There was much discussion with 3 main threads:
We should consider closing firewall holes and insisting that users use VPN. We should also check ACLs to see what's globally accessible. If required, we could leave one server available for global access. The Services Unit are to put forward a proposal which will go to CSG.
We should bump up the priority of the AFS replacement project. The timescale for needing to replace AFS is likely to be between 3 and 5 years so the plan should be to start moving to an alternative solution next year.
We need to improve our documentation for using alternatives.
Now that we have the exam dates, Neil will send out a doodle poll.
Chris commented that wakeweb is available on the ssh servers and can be used by anyone to wake machines that they see on their list at wake.inf.ed.ac.uk. It's on the login servers too and it could be added to other machines if needed. The script called 'wake' in cos/utils is specifically for COs and can be easily accessed by adding cos/utils to path variable.
It was agreed that this afternoon's TDM should be cancelled.
Stephen reminded us about the LDAP conference being hosted in the Forum - 11th - 13th November. See LDAP Conference 2015 website for full details. COs are welcome to attend but please let Stephen know if you would like to attend the tutorial day on the 11th.
The next meeting will be on 11th November 2015 at 10:00 in the Forum (4.31). Craig will convene.
Please contact us with any comments or corrections.
Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all material is copyright The University of Edinburgh