White dot for spacing only
The Dice Project


Operational Meeting

Minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 27th January 2016 in IF-4.31

Present:
Richard Bell, Toby Blake, Lindsey Brown, Neil Brown, Roger Burroughes, Chris Cooke, Carol Dow, Ian Durkacz, Graham Dutton, Mohammed Javaid, Jennifer Oxley, Stephen Quinney, Iain Rae, George Ross (convener and minutes), Alastair Scobie
  1. Minutes of the last meeting

    These were accepted as a reasonable account of the last meeting.

  2. Actions and blog articles

    Actions discussed:

    Actions added or revived:

    Actions deferred:

    Actions completed:

    Blog articles discussed:

  3. Report from Computing Executive Group

    1. Tidying out B.03

      ALL to check their "keep" kit in B.03 and label as appropriate. Anything not labelled by the end of February will be assumed to be no longer required!

  4. Reports from Units

  5. Topics for discussion

    1. SL7 server upgrades

      • There's a "container" development project to oversee and coordinate the server upgrades. Chris and Ross will be working on this.
      • Hung off that one, there are per-Unit projects, which will need started. Units should then create specific projects as necessary.
      • We need some kind of a tracking tool. Perhaps the one Gordon was looking at would be suitable.
      • (There was a slight diversion to discuss the upgrading of the compute servers. The conclusion was that we probably should have put the main ones to SL7 earlier, but that there were good reasons to keep some on SL6 for a while too.)
      • MPU to update the Development meeting on progress with the server platform. Convener to pass the word to Tim. There's still a bit of work left. SL7.2 may help.
      • CEG should discuss setting a deadline by which servers would be expected to be upgraded. Convener to raise.
    2. root password policy

      The meeting discussed and agreed with Stephen's proposal.

    3. Authentication stats

      • It might be useful to break them out into separate directories by user, to allow for different ACL entries.
      • asu's additional /admin password essentially provides for a second authentication factor. Arguably we should do this elsewhere too.
      • Feedback to Toby please.
  6. Items for the Computing Systems blog

    Something on the recent power outage. Or perhaps a computing.help page, or both. How to handle the SMSR was deferred to another discussion.

  7. AOCB

    Alastair noted that as a matter of policy IS would like to become more closely involved with Schools. To that end, we'll invite Angus to Operational (and Development?) meetings. It might also be useful to have a "Report from IS" section, analogous to the reports from CEG and Units. There was some discussion, most of which centred around whether this might inhibit what might then be said at these meetings.

  8. Next meeting

    The next meeting will be on 10th February 2016 at 10:00 in IF-4.31.


 : Operational : Meetings 

Mini Informatics Logo - Link to Main Informatics Page
Please contact us with any comments or corrections.
Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all material is copyright The University of Edinburgh
Spacing Line