These were accepted as a reasonable account of the last meeting.
Toby/Stephen to arrange meeting and invite interested parties.
Use dumpdeps to identify profiles.
Included as part of security week actions.
Alastair will write up notes from CEG meeting on 4th May.
Ian and Alison will now discuss.
Chris is looking at this now.
All to comment.
Actions added or revived:
Services to speak to other Schools about their experiences with Cloud printing.
All US members should have full access to the 'Visitor' tab in Theon.
Re-deferred to July
Deferred until August - a couple of pages, due for removal, changed from US Unit to RAT.
Transferred to MPU list
Disks wiped and now in box (labelled) in B.03.
Done - uses new role.
Blog articles suggested:
Report from Computing Executive Group
Reports from Units
There is a useful document on IPv6 addressing. Note that "if you install an SL7 machine on any of the "server" wires (S32 and S33 in the Forum, AT1 in Appleton Tower, S at JCMB) then you will get an IPv6 address and IPv6 global routes. If you add that address to the DNS you will then get firewall holes for it." It was also noted that (outbound from machines), ssh, rsync etc will prefer to use IPv6 under SL7.
See Graham's subsequent emails to cos "VirtualBox 5 Guest Additions", dated 12th May.
Services to speak to other Schools regarding cloud printing - how successful has it been, what issues have they had, do they feel the need for spare printers in case one is out of action etc etc
The list of remaining SL6 desktops in the report does not include the touchscreens. They have been included in the US SL7 Project report.
Topics for discussion
The question whether hostnames should be re-used was raised. There were varying thoughts on this but Alison noted that it can be done currently albeit a bit fiddly and time-consuming. It was agreed that we need a policy on this, tools that reliably check for hostnames that have been used and a written procedure for making any necessary changes if required. For more thoughts on this, follow the subsequent emails to cos on the topic "reusing hostnames, inventory, etc."
Now that visitors require a sponsor to be added to their Theon record to allow a DICE account to be created, Alison asked RAT if all members of US could have full access to the 'Visitor' tab in Theon. It was agreed that this should be actioned.
We suggested meeting at Ushers, 12:30, for lunch to celebrate George's 'big' birthday.
The next meeting will be on 25th May 2016 at 10:00 in IF-4.31, chaired by Alison.
Please contact us with any comments or corrections.
Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all material is copyright The University of Edinburgh