These were accepted as a reasonable account of the last meeting.
Meeting was held. (Minutes). Actions from meeting will be moved to Ops meeting actions list
New machine has been moved to KB but is awaiting suitable video cable.
Alison has made some changes. Alastair will check things as well but other units still need to take a look.
Actions added or revived:
Blog articles suggested:
Blog articles discussed:
Report from Computing Executive Group
Reports from Units
It was suggested that it might be worthwhile buying another 10GB interface for testing purposes and installed in a sacrificial machine set up to give the network, and iptables in particular, a thorough workout. Linnaeus was suggested as a suitable victim.
It's proposed to enable IPv6 on the Forum DICE wire on the 5th of September
After the meeting Dave and George had a walkaround in ATL3 and L9. Pics are here
Topics for discussion
It was agreed that this should be discussed at the next technical discussion meeting and the outcome of that discussion fed back at the LCFG deployers meeting the next day.
There was some concern that Toby's proposal to have a locally modified version of the Kerberos server which returns more helpful information about why a password was rejected might lead to delays in deploying any new version of the server, possibly with crucial security fixes. It was pointed out however that it would be possibly to deploy a stock version of the server and issue less helpful messages for a few days until a new locally modified version could be produced.
It was further agreed that there should be one location where School password policy was detailed and that all systems making reference to the policy should point at that location.
Toby pointed out that the Secure Endpoints website, which the AFS on Windows computing.help page gives as the source of Kerberos for Window and the Network ID manager program had been offline for several days. It was agreed that Toby would update the computing.help documentation to reflect this. (Note from the future, the Secure Endpoints website came back soon after the meeting, the issue apparently having been DNS related).
The next meeting will be on Wed 14th September 2016 at 10:00 in IF-4.31, chaired by TBD.
Please contact us with any comments or corrections.
Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all material is copyright The University of Edinburgh