These were accepted as a reasonable account of the last meeting. Alastair clarified the status of the additional posts mentioned in the CEG report.
All machines should be done by the end of August, apart from remaining 630s and 730s while MPU investigate the problems with these.
The partition they are on is grossly over-subscribed. Once this is done MPU will adjust the quotas.
It's on the MPU list. Defer.
Actions added or revived:
One issue is claimed to be non-staff users and licences, but there seems to be no reason why we couldn't just buy the necessary ones. Alastair will add to his "Angus" list.
We're nearly in a position to do this, so George and Graham (and anyone else interested) should discuss the implications for exam lockdown at least.
We have to respond by the end of the month.
/homeand exam lockdown
Blog articles discussed:
Toby is working on this but has some LDAP tweaks to make before publishing so that the information available is as complete and accurate as possible.
Report from Computing Executive Group
The moves described were according to the schedule current at the time of the meeting, but might still change.
The L6 MFD will be delivered next week. It's to go in 6.02A, so shouldn't be affected by furniture moves.
The support office (and Garry?) should move this coming weekend.
George and Alison will check the status of L7.
The Windows 10 managed desktop isn't going to hit the labs this year, and is likely to be delayed for staff desktops.
The "Supported Mac" project is trying to have the cost added to every Mac purchase, and have the software pre-installed. We're resisting, as while it might be suitable for some, it won't be wanted by all.
The new UPS in the CSR (replacing the one we loaned) covers just the PoP switches.
There's a move to introduce IT professional development for staff. It might be appropriate for our admin staff.
Any suggestions for enterprise APIs that might be useful?
GDPR is coming!
Reports from Units
The AT router
runnicles will be done tomorrow (Thursday 24th)
The two for Services-unit are destined for KB (RT#84264). There are also a good number of very large ones which look as though they're RAT's remit.
ALL to check and update the wiki page. We have until the end of August to respond.
The emails should go out at the start of September. There'll then be a month during which any forgotten passwords can be reset through the portal.
Stephen and Graham will discuss implications for exam lockdown.
Please do this, following Alastair's instructions.
It's not quite a drop-in replacement.
The lcfg wiki has been getting hammered recently, and so has been generating some very large log files. These do however, compress nicely. The meeting agreed with Stephen's proposal that this should be the default. He's also going to hook in fail2ban as this would have stopped the recent instance, but this would of course have to be brought in carefully.
Topics for discussion
The next meeting will be on Wednesday 13th September at 10:00, possibly in WB-G.12, chaired by George.
Please contact us with any comments or corrections.
Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all material is copyright The University of Edinburgh