These were approved.
It seems they don't need write access to machine profiles or headers, but do of course require it for switch configurations. Ian has been looking at privilege recently, so he volunteered to make the change.
It probably should be possible to set something up, though Alastair would still have to sign off on everything. Take to CEG to discuss the details.
Stuart is happy with this proposal too. US will define what's needed. There should be something clear on computing.help too. There'll be a meeting to discuss implementation details.
MPU are done too, though the list is only currently in one of their meeting notes.
Alison will arrange for the necessary licences to be obtained.
One mechanism was implemented for the recent mock exams, but there may be better ways.
There are still some machines running the old kernel. They should really be rebooted as a priority to close some potential holes. Stephen will send round another list.
We're still reasonably OK at the moment, as security fixes are still being applied to 6.8. Once 6.10 comes out, though, the situation may change.
Actions added or revived:
We're done for now. There are still some machines in what appears to be a permanent error state. These should either be fixed or have monitoring removed as it's not telling us anything useful for them.
We probably will still shuffle stuff around, but there's no need to keep this action here any more.
This actually has wider ramifications, and will need further consideration by the "account tidy" project when it starts. There doesn't seem to be an easy way to find things which reference particular PTS IDs, and trawling the entire filesystem will be slow...
Report from Computing Executive Group
Alastair and George will review the document. Note that the requirement to report things to irt@ed is now much stronger than when we originally wrote it.
Reports from Units
Some old-format rules are causing warnings, but logging still seems to be happening. The rules have been unchanged for a long time, so it's time they were reviewed anyway. George to do.
All routers now have fixed addresses to avoid the problem of SLAAC-style ones timing out. It's not a problem on non-routers.
We expect to be turning off the "autofs" LDAP servers "soon".
George will be calling a meeting to discuss how this can be implemented. Please make yourselves known!
A paid-for version might be a possibility. A development project will be starting shortly to look into this whole area.
Iain's cluster work is currently taking priority
A comment on computing.help would be useful, or perhaps a link to IS-provided documentation
This provoked some discussion, including:
Next week's <stable> release will have to be moved, probably to Wednesday morning. MPU will confirm.
Topics for discussion
Tim brought this topic to the meeting for feedback, though the actual decision will be take elsewhere.
This topic had previously been discussed at CEG, and also prior to the meeting. There was considerable further discussion, the main points of which were:
-develversions of already-installed packages then they should be added too as a matter of course.
The next meeting will be on Wednesday 13th December at 10:00 in IF-4.31.
Please contact us with any comments or corrections.
Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all material is copyright The University of Edinburgh