These were approved.
Stephen will check outstanding machines for next meeting
Will be moved to corner of CSR until ECA collect.
Everything before July 2016 to be updated by end Jan 2018. Clock has ticked over again so all content not updated since Jan 2017 to be checked.
Actions added or revived:
discuss at 24/1/18 meeting
Deferred pending news on UPS
Wiki page created.
Level of rootmail sufficiently low to not worry about.
All Units have compiled lists. Neil will create project to oversee transition to https:
Blog articles suggested:
Report from Computing Executive Group
Reports from Units
If required, CEG will oversee restoration of power
The question was raised of whether when we need to get up to KB in a hurry, we can summon a taxi at the School's expense and if so, how to go about it. Alison has spoken to Julie about this and apparently Alastair will need to raise the issue with Martin.
The easy stuff has been done. George will create a project to cover conversion to the "advanced" format of configuration.
A deadline of the end of February was set for the server upgrades to SL7.4
Should now all go to AT-6.01
Should be done by Friday.
All Units should check whether their sites are using the old or new directives
Topics for discussion
Ian asked whether the above incident had led to any suggestions that a machine located at KB would be better placed downtown. The only suggestion for where this might possibly apply was compuing.help but it was agreed that this was located at KB so that users might be kept informed during incidents in the central area.
Another question raised was whether, when it is necessary to get up to KB as soon as possible, it is permissible to summon a taxi at the School's expense. It was agreed that this would be investigated.
Ian mooted the possibility of setting up an easily accessible facility for zeroing faulty discs, where possible, before returning them to the manufacturer. It was mentioned that the default these days is to order servers with the option to retain faulty discs but that this may not apply to older machines. It should be possible to determine if a machine was ordered with this option from the Dell support pages. It was agreed that the Managed Platform Unit would update the documentation on contacting Dell to cover this procedure. Iain was volunteered in his absence to look into the practicalities of setting up a disc-zeroing facility.
Jennifer asked about how support was to be managed in the new Bayes building and suggested that it would make sense for Bayes admin people to use Office 365 for their mail. It was agreed that the sensible way to kickstart this discussion would be for Alison to raise it at CEG.
The next meeting will be on Wednesday 24th January at 10:00 in IF-4.31.
Please contact us with any comments or corrections.
Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all material is copyright The University of Edinburgh