White dot for spacing only
The Dice Project


Operational Meeting

Minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 24th January 2018 in IF-4.31

Present:
Ross Armstrong, Toby Blake, Lindsey Brown, Roger Burroughes, Tim Colles, Chris Cooke, Carol Dow, Alison Downie, Ian Durkacz, Adam Kirylczuk, Jennifer Oxley, Gordon Reid, George Ross, Alastair Scobie, Craig Strachan (convener and minutes)
  1. Minutes of the last meeting

    These were approved.

  2. Actions and blog articles

    Actions discussed:

    Actions added or revived:

    Actions (re-)deferred:

    Actions completed:

    Blog articles completed:

  3. Report from Computing Executive Group

    1. Nagios

      Need to clean up the tactical overview

    2. CCPAG Verbal Report
      • Dell have been reselected for the miniserver tender
      • We've been asked if we might be interested in JupYterhub
      • There's a new College Server Room management paper out. Alastair will circulate.
      • The latest Windows 10 MDP build looks like it might be suitable for use within the School.
      • As part of the University's security policy, on-line training material has been released which it is mandatory for all staff to complete.
      • The University is taking another look at datacentre strategy.
      • Register of Services

        Apparently this is experiencing some take-up.

      • Phase 2 deployment of the new lecture recording system is about to start.
  4. Reports from Units

  5. Topics for discussion

    1. Should we introduce a policy of only using "proper" certificates for user-facing https web sites?

      It was agreed that this would be a sensible move though concerns were raised about access to certificate files in the absence of an Inf Unit member. Toby stated that we were going to move from keeping these files on a USB drive to storing them in Wallet

    2. Emergency Chat

      It was confirmed that the newly created infcos workspace in the LCFG Slack channel was the correct venue for emergency backup chat. The MPU will make sure that all computing staff have received an invitation to this workspace and that documentation on how to access it is available

    3. GDPR

      All units are to review the existing Data Protection statement for correctness.

      The issue of the user information held by Drupal and whether it fell within the scope of GDPR was raised. This will need further thought.

    4. SLAAC for server wires

      It's still unclear whether now is the time to do this though there was agreement that it would make sense to do the server wires one at a time, starting with the KB wire. Concern was also raised about the difficulty of testing what IPv6 firewall holes are open. The Infrastructure unit will investigate ways of making this easier. We will revisit this issue every month until SLAAC is implemented on all server wires.

    5. who are we now supposed to ask/contact for stationery, kitchen, etc. supplies?

      It was generally agreed that the Teaching Office on level 6 AT should supply stationary and kitchen items should be obtained from the level 1 admin office in the Forum.

      The question of how we could make better use of the open area on level 7 AT was raised. There was general agreement that to make the space more flexible, different furniture was needed. The question of when the carpets in AT would be cleaned was also brought up. Alastair will discuss both questions with Martin.

  6. AOCB

  7. Next meeting

    The next meeting will be on Wednesday 14th February at 10:00 in IF-4.31.


 : Operational : Meetings 

Mini Informatics Logo - Link to Main Informatics Page
Please contact us with any comments or corrections.
Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all material is copyright The University of Edinburgh
Spacing Line