The minutes for 17th February were approved.
Updated for 20.04. Needs something added to cover 18.04.
Updated but not yet committed.
Actions added or revived:
Blog articles completed
Report from Computing Executive Group
Stephen asked how the lack of effort was affecting the roll-out of Ubuntu to desktops. Alastair stated that at the moment, we did not have the resources to go ahead with the full roll-out but noted that individual upgrades could be done if requested. Jennifer observed that not everyone in the US Unit was able to come into the Forum to do these upgrades. Alastair pointed out that the upgrades need not necessarily be done by a member of the US Unit.
Reports from Units
Ian asked if the format that should be used in the sub_location field was documented anywhere. George replied that he wasn't sure about this. It was later clarified that the format this field should have had been specified in an email to computing staff.
Toby asked if our experiences of the new scanner had been fed back to IS. George replied that he had been waiting on another email about the scanner, but that he would be responding to IS shortly.
George noted that the UPS work was unlikely to have caused this problem since the PSU in question would not have been affected by it,
Neil will add a pointer to the Auristor instructions for installing their client on Big Sur to the appropriate computing.help page. One of the issues was that Alex's Mac is a new Arm based machine which we have no experience of. It was agreed that we need to get one or more of these machines as soon as possible. Alastair pointed out that one of the issues with these machines was that they did not yet support VirtualBox, making them less attractive to computing staff.
Neil asked if, bearing the current procurement issues in mind, if would make sense to have a full time receptionist in the building again. Alastair replied that this was under discussion. Jennifer asked the meeting to note the exceptional efforts of the User Support Unit in tricky circumstances recently.
Topics for discussion
There will be a separate meeting on the 2nd of March to discuss this.
Stephen asked how this proposal would affect people's workflows. Graham replied that it would have a significant impact for him, though he noted that this was somewhat alleviated by the fact that his /root principle still had access to AFS. He will still lose much of his environment though. Stephen noted that some other Schools have developed scripts allowing for a more flexible environment. He also emphasised that this change would only affect the commit stage of editing profiles.
The next meeting will be on Wednesday 3rd March 2021 online at 10am.
Please contact us with any comments or corrections.
Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all material is copyright The University of Edinburgh